Tuesday, May 22, 2007

From dual-boot to vmware with minimal changes

I had set up my Dell D620 for dual boot in Linux and Windows Vista. What I really want is to be able to instantly switch between the two depending on needs. So VMWare is the way to go. I gave up my initial idea of running Vista inside VMWare on Ubuntu. Microsoft didn't give me the permission. So I set it up the other way round -- Vista host and Ubuntu guest.



I didn't want to set up a new hard disk for Ubuntu. So I downloaded VMware server and VMware player. Installed the first, created a virtual machine using my existing hard disk as the VMware hard disk. Then I uninstalled VMware server and installed VMware player. The server software is older. Networking and sound didn't work. I edited the .vmx file ( C:\Virtual Machines\Ubuntu\Ubuntu.vmx ) to enable sound



sound.enable = "TRUE"



VMware player took off from where VMware server left off. And I am posting this from Ubuntu inside VMware.



Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: